Friday 2 December 2011

Chocolate CV

Ok it was my intention to write a series of posts about the People, Process and more importantly the Technology, behind one of my favourite topics; chocolate. Since the original idea crystallised I have been distracted by the necessity of re-writing my CV in readiness for attacking the dwindling job market. During the course of this exercise I have drank a lot of coffee and consumed more than my fair share of chocolate; what goes around, comes around it would seem.















If we all followed sound business wisdom we would keep our CV's current; instead most of us leave it until we have a specific need. The update process then becomes very intensive and time consuming but it is crucial to do it well and professionally. The most difficult part for me has been to explain the apparent break from a 'mainstream' technology and project management career. I was not made redundant, I did not win the lottery, I did not take time out for a major face lift - I left my career to support someone very close to me through a very serious illness.

Effectively I have been away from my 'career' for 3 years. However in-between caring I have kept very busy and am probably more techie now than ever! I have worked with some amazing micro-business women helping them to get to grips with the technology required to support their businesses. I have had the luxury of having time to read the industry press, watch the technology trends and play. I have listened as my husband has grappled with many serious technology-related business issues, not least of all limited budgets in this period of recession.

As far as I can see 3 years out of the 'mainstream' and the problems haven't changed much i.e.
  • Poor communication
  • Failure to capture business requirements to the necessary level of detail
  • Not managing user expectations
  • Failure to actively engage project sponsors
  • Not appreciating the relationship between People, Process and Technology
  • Not managing Change
Interestingly I don't really see many technology specific issues. Many of the 'new' technologies have been around before. For me its the application that is inherently problematic, not the tools themselves. More chocolate anyone?



My current favourites from Baruzzo!

1 comment: