Wednesday 19 October 2011

Chocolate Technology


Mention the word ‘technology’ to most people and they assume that you are referring to ‘Information Technology’ i.e. computers, lap-tops, smart phones etc. In fact the term ‘technology’ has a much broader definition as this extract from Wikipedia demonstrates:

“The making, usage, and knowledge of tools, machines, techniques, crafts, systems or methods of organization in order to solve a problem or perform a specific function. The term can either be applied generally or to specific areas; examples include construction technology, medical technology, and information technology”

Which brings me very nicely to one of my favourite things - chocolate.


For me chocolate and technology go hand-in-hand, literally. Throughout my career in Information Technology I have often been found typing with one hand whilst nursing a fine specimen of chocolate in the other. I worked my way through all that Starbucks could offer me chocolate wise whilst on site at T-Mobile, created a blind chocolate tasting team building event for my favourite Business Intelligence Company and livened up Monday morning team meetings at Ericsson with homemade chocolate cake.

Now I admit I have eaten a lot of chocolate in my time but until recently I hadn’t explored the technology, i.e. the tools and the processes, required to create the food that gives so many people so much pleasure. A few weeks ago I sampled some amazing chocolate, more about that later, which inspired me to investigate chocolate technology further. In order to give my research some structure I decided to use the tried and tested Business Requirements gathering framework:

· People
· Process
· Technology


Read my next posting to see how I got on!




No comments:

Post a Comment