Saturday 11 January 2014

Lost your Mac Outlook Outbox? Stuck mail slowing things up?

I use  Outlook on Mac probably more out of habit then anything else. Generally it is the Mail client of choice in the corporate world so when I converted to Mac at home it made sense for me to install Outlook. The Mac implementation has many quirks and is missing some of the functionality that you take for granted with Windows Outlook.

Occasionally the 'quirks' can be quite time consuming and I have wasted much time, and energy, trying to find solutions using the 'Help' button. Instead I would suggest reaching out to the the Mac user community. They are a fantastic source of information and they are keen to share their considerable knowledge for the greater good.

For the past week I have been struggling with some 'stuck' emails. In Windows Outlook emails remain in the visible 'Outbox' so you can deal with them as necessary. Unfortunately Apple, in their wisdom, have decided to remove the 'Outbox'. The consequence of this is that problematic emails slow down the 'Send/Receive' cycle and result in error messages without any obvious means to deal with them.

As usual Mac Users to the rescue, this solution via Apple User Communities. Thanks to  Radha77 in particular who managed to help rid me of my troublesome emails:

Aug 3, 2013 5:23 PM (in response to MDV71)
I was looking on line for an answer to the same question, and didn't find it...but I figured out how to do it and thought I would share -- better late than never.  Close Outlook, To open, double click on the icon while holding down the shift button.  Upon opening, the outbox appears at the bottom on the folders column.  Click on it and you can see it's contents. 

I don't know how long it continues to appear there.  I clicked on it quickly, deleted the stuck items and once those were gone and the other items sent, the Outbox disappeared again. 

Hope that helps you or someone else looking for this answer.  Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment