Tuesday 3 May 2011

Motivational Technology?

Back in January I struggled to get into training mode for the TVFChinaChallenge trek knowing full well that if I didn't train I would struggle on the Great Wall. Despite support from friends and family I regularly missed my personal targets and lacked motivation. By chance I came across some technology that inspired me to get going and I haven't looked back since. The technology in question is an application that runs on most mobile phones with GPS fuunctionality; http://runkeeper.com

The basic version of this app is free and can be easily downloaded via your mobile phone App shop. In my case I downloaded via ITunes. Once installed I could choose my activity and Runkeeper would track my progress in terms of distance, pace, elevation and time. After I finished the Runkeeper app would send all my data up to my personal area on the main web-site. I could then log-on to my own area, check my results and even see my activity plotted on a map. I found this app great fun and it provided me with more than enough motivation.

I took my phone, and my app, with me to the Great Wall. Each day I tracked our progress and each evening I shared our achievements with the rest of the team. If you would like to see my stats, including those from China, please visit http://runkeeper.com/user/Mandyp.

Endomondo  is another phone app of this type, which my husband uses on a regular basis. They are both great motivators and can track many different sports. Both apps provide some great reports and make training much more fun, well for me at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment